Mold – one of the scariest four-letter words to hear when you are a homeowner. Homeowners face a lot of challenging questions when they realize there is a mold problem on their property. Where did it come from? Why is this happening in your home? Is it safe for your family to be at home? How do you remove mold? Is the mold toxic? So many questions and thoughts will run through your head when you hear that one word. Professional mold damage cleanup and mold repair companies like Pioneer Restoration in Redmond want the residents of Redmond to understand what mold is, how they can prevent mold growth, and how mold can be removed after it is found in a home.
What is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungus. There are hundreds of thousands of species of mold ranging from toxic to non-toxic. Mold has been instrumental in creating certain types of medicine and cheese but it can also cause major property damage and severe health risks to individuals that suffer from respiratory problems.
Have you heard the following common mold myths?
Myth #1: All mold is dangerous.
As mentioned earlier, there are toxic and non-toxic mold species. Not all mold is dangerous. Have you ever taken penicillin? Penicillin is an antibiotic that is used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections. Penicillin derives from Penicillium fungi and has saved millions of lives since it was discovered. But mold that grows inside your home is not a safe mold for people to dwell in.
Myth #2 Bleach Will Kill All Mold.
While it is true that bleach may kill certain kinds of bacteria and fungi, it does not kill all species of mold. If the mold is on a porous surface the chances of bleach killing the mold is very slim. Because of its makeup, bleach is unable to soak into porous materials. The chlorine stays on the surface while the water is absorbed into the material, feeding the mold that is deep within the porous material. This is not an effective treatment for mold growth.
Mold Prevention Tips
Look for any water leaks or excess moisture in your home. If the source of a leak or moisture is an easy fix you can perform the repairs yourself. If excess moisture and leaks are extensive or you are unable to find the source of the moisture, contact a professional water damage cleanup company to perform an assessment. The professionals will have water detection equipment that can detect moisture behind your walls or in your ceiling.
Check your home for any damage that could lead to a water leak. This includes checking your windows, doors, and foundation for cracks, damaged roofing, or clogged gutters. It is also a good idea to remove any outdoor debris away from your home. When you are maintaining your lawn, check your sprinkler system for leaks and avoid planting trees too close to your home’s foundation. As they grow, tree roots can damage the foundation of your home or damage water lines.
While you can remove mold on your own it is safer to hire a professional who is trained in mold removal and remediation. Professionals have access to the best chemicals and know what to look for and where to find it. Keep in mind that mold removal is not as easy as spraying on some chemicals and wiping the mold way. There are numerous steps that should be taken when attempting to remove mold to prevent the mold from going airborne and spreading throughout your home.
Killing mold isn’t particularly easy and is best left to a professional. Though it’s true that you can clean up certain kinds of mold in small amounts, to properly clean up mold you must first find the causes of the moisture that caused the mold to grow in the first place, contain the mold to keep it from spreading and remove the affected area. It is much easier to hire a professional mold removal and remediation company like Pioneer Restoration to take care of the problem for you. This will give you piece of mind as you know you have hired the best to protect you family and home from the mold.