24/7 ONE HOUR EMERGENCY RESPONSE

SERVICING BEND + CENTRAL OREGON

Respiratory Problems and Fungi

Many different types of fungi can cause respiratory issues. Among them are mold, mildew, rust and yeast. Left alone, they’re harmless, but once inhaled, they can cause inflammation and irritation to the respiratory system. When airborne spores of fungal material are inhaled, people can experience a variety of symptoms ranging in severity from a stuffy nose to a life-threatening asthma attack.

After a wet event in your home or office there are some simple steps you can take to help reduce the risk of respiratory problems due to exposure to fungi.
Avoid breathing dust (fungal spores) generated by moldy building materials. If you are removing carpet or drywall yourself, make sure the room is well-ventilated and that you are wearing an OSHA approved mask.
Consider using an N-95 NIOSH-approved disposable respirator as a minimum when working with moldy or damp hay, grain, compost, or building materials.
Anything visibly contaminated with mold should be discarded. Follow Grandma’s rule: When in doubt, throw it out.
Surfaces that have a light covering of mold should be scrubbed with warm, soapy water and rinsed with a disinfectant.
After working with mold-contaminated materials, wash thoroughly, including the hair, scalp, and nails.

OSHA has strict guidelines governing the removal of mold and water damage clean-up. It is for the safety of our workers, our clients and their neighbors that we adhere to these guidelines to the letter. Pioneer is trusted by insurance agents and homeowners alike for our experience, professionalism and care when restoring a home or office to safe, healthy conditions.